top of page
Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeships (PGTA)
Level 6
Teacher and Pupil

What is a postgraduate teaching apprenticeship (PGTA)?

The PGTA is a 12 month, fully funded and salaried teacher training programme, which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).   

A PGTA consists of two parts:

Part 1

A 12 month apprenticeship with an end point assessment in the term after the apprenticeship ends. The apprenticeship runs from the beginning of September to the beginning of September the following year.

Part 2

A teacher training course leading to QTS. The QTS course runs from the beginning of September to the beginning of July.

There are three stages to the PGTA:

Stage 1

Pre QTS: This involves bespoke support for the prospective apprentice to get ready for the QTS programme to ensure that they can successfully engage with the programme. This may include GCSE equivalency tests, functional skills exams or subject knowledge enhancement courses.
Stage 2

QTS programme: Our unique course is designed to help apprentices to fulfil a wider teaching role (including that of pastoral care) within their chosen educational context. This course will provide apprentices with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Working closely with our experienced staff, aspiring teachers gain the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to become successful early careers teachers.
Stage 3

End Point Assessment (EPA): An independent End Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO) is appointed to assess the apprentice and verify that they meet all aspects of the overarching PGTA programme. This usually involves a joint observation and a professional discussion as well as a review of the evidence collected during the teacher training year. The EPA will take place in the first half of the autumn term after completion of the QTS course.
The apprenticeship is not complete until all 3 stages of the programme have been assessed. For more information please visit the Best Practice Network website.

What is the difference between a PGTA and a unsalaried teacher training route for the apprentice?
As a PGTA you will have a higher teaching load than on an unsalaried course. The teaching load is up to 80% for a PGTA whereas on a unsalaried route your teaching load will gradually increase throughout the year to up to 70%.
On the salaried PGTA route you will not be eligible for student finance or train to teach bursaries as you will be receiving a salary.
As a PGTA you can take your own classes and you have sole responsibility for their academic achievement and pastoral care. On an unsalaried teacher training course the overall responsibility remains with the host teacher who needs to be present in every lesson to give informal feedback. As a PGTA you are observed formally once per week.

Eligibility
Apprentices need to be UK citizens or have settled or pre-settled status and have lived in the UK for the 3 years prior to starting their apprenticeship. Certain other individuals who have a valid and eligible residency status or immigration status may also be eligible. 
Apprentices must have GCSEs in English and Maths of grade C/4 or above and also a GCSE Science grade C/4 if they are teaching in primary school. Those who do not meet this entry requirement will need to undertake GCSE equivalency tests and functional skills exams. The GCSE equivalency tests are required to meet the entry requirements for Initial Teacher Training (ITT) and the functional skills exams are required to pass the end point assessment for the apprenticeship.
They must also have an undergraduate degree of at least lower second class honours.

 

What about the cost?
The cost to train an apprentice with us is £9000. The apprenticeships are fully funded so there is no cost to either the employer or the apprentice.
If your school (or local authority) contributes to the apprenticeship levy fund you can access your fund contributions through your Apprenticeship Service Account. You can use this service to manage the funds you have available for apprenticeship training in England.
If your school does not contribute to the apprenticeship levy fund you will pay 5% towards the cost of the training for your apprentice. The remaining 95% will be paid by the government.
There are salary grants available for certain subjects. For more information please visit this website

 

What qualification does the PGTA lead to?
The PGTA leads to QTS—qualified teacher status.

 

For more information please visit the Best Practice Network website.

 

Best Friends
School Kids
Lunch Time
Kids with Backpacks
Teacher Helping Student

Popular
Recipes

Slide1.JPG
Classroom
Running Students
Classmates
bottom of page